> On Oct 15, 2021, at 9:55 AM, Robert Helling wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> has anybody managed to build Subsurface on Apple Silicone? Because I haven’t.

Yeah, I still don't have a Mac with M1 silicon, so no, haven't even tried... my
understanding is that the x86 version works just fine, though...

> Here is a log of my frustrations.
>
> Before leaving for the summer vacation, I received a new MacMini at the
> office featuring the new ARM based Apple hardware that everybody is so
> excited about. It runs Big Sur.
>
> It took several weeks to find the time to properly take care of it, install
> all the software I need for work, get permissions right (it seems they
> changed what admin users can do when the machine is part of an active domain
> or better what they cannot do, for example install software updates etc etc).
> But those things I think I have under control by now.
>
> So I move forward and tried to set up a build environment for Subsurface. I
> encountered halve installed versions of Xcode which on the other hand leave
> behind zombi installations when removed that confuse auto build when still
> around when there is a second version as well (this took me two days to
> understand). But also that is solved. I think.

This might be good to document in more detail, especially how to fix it (for
the next poor person coming around to this)

> But now I hit a road block: I am able to build the subsurface object files.
> But then I came to the understanding that Qt 5.x does not exist in version
> for Apple’s ARM processors, only for the 86 family (which could be used in
> Rosetta mode and indeed the official Mac binaries from Dirk’s server work
> fine on that machine). But I have not been able to convince the Subsurface
> build system to build 86 family binaries on my ARM machine.

No idea how to do that, frankly. I'm sure you've found this page
https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-on-apple-silicon
<https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-on-apple-silicon> and if you wanted to experiment
with Qt6 there's more stuff here https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/macos.html
<https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/macos.html>

I think eventually we will need to port to Qt 6 - and that should fix the core
of your problem, right?

> So I see three options to move forward: „Cross-build“ Subsurface for the old
> hardware platform. Or wait for ARM built binaries of Qt 5.x (which as I
> understand might never happen at least in the open source world). Or move
> Subsurface forward to work with Qt 6 (which might be in better shape w.r.t.
> ARM but I don’t really understand the current situation in detail).

I think you have that right. Allegedly one can build "fairly decent" Qt 5.15
binaries for M1. Just takes a while :)

But really, the only logical path is Qt6

/D