On 4 Jul 2010, at 00:11, Tim McNamara <paperl...@timmcnamara.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> 500+ unclosed bugs causes problems. I feel intimidated & overwhelmed by this
> number. I also find it difficult to find material sift through bug reports,
> to find areas where I can help (although, at the moment, I'm quite content
> with sugar-love level problems). However, 500+ bugs isn't that accurate. Some
> have been identified as upstream problems, but their resolution status
> remains open.
>
> I suggest that we make more use of the "wontfix" resolution status. In 5
> minutes, I've found some likely candidates. "wontfix" comes with a high risk
> of alienating people submitting bugs, but a polite note saying that it's
> upstream or possibly something like  "Unfortunately, we have higher priority
> areas to work on right now. However we would welcome a patch if you are still
> wiling to work on this issue. It's great that you've taken the time to submit
> the bug, and we have looked into resolving things for you."
>
> Some candidates:
>
> wontfix - upstream
>  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1307
>
> wontfix - other priorities
>  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/288
>  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/292
>
> duplicates
>  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/172
>  http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/394
>
> I think that resolving bugs, even if by using the wontfix tag will make other
> areas easier.
>
> Also, I don't know if I have the permission to change resolution status when
> something hasn't been touched for 12+ months. If I were to change status on
> likely candidates, would this anger the other developers?

I know it's sensitive, for us slightly more delicate souls, but if you feel
strongly about a bug status... I'd say go for its change of status. It will
trigger either action/indifference from genuinely  interested parties, possibly
patches/discussion, action, and glory ;)

It seems fair to say there is some level of (completely understandable)
analysis paralysis for some level of bugs. Bug triage activity is at a low at
the moment. Don't apologise for bringing that task back up in everyones
focus/face.

Regards,
--Gary