On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 11:27:36AM -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
The new version number will consist of N integer numbers separated by dots and a suffix for a local indicator. Activity developers can still use an integer number only, if desired.
Valid numbers are:
23
23.2
23.2.5
23.2.5-peru
23.2.5-uru

The internal representation will be a string instead of an int and we will add means to validate and compare the versions.

What do others think about this approach? Packagers?
We must limit the number of integer digits allowed?

Short version:  Gogogo!

Slightly longer: Make sure to strictly define the semantics of non-integer parts.

It might seem obvious at first - "peru" being "slight fork of micro-version 5". But perhaps sometimes a local branch wants to release a sneak preview, e.g. "almost micro-version 6". Should that then be labeled 23.2.6-peru or (since 5-peru is taken already) 23.2.6.peru2?

In Debian we allow both letters and digits in all parts, and use special sign "~" to indicate "almost" and "+" to indicate "just above". And we treat 0 (zero) equal to a missing trailing part. And more nitpicking...

I do not, however, recommend you to adopt such complex scheme. I suggest instead (as might actually be what imply by the above summary) that the 3 first parts are strictly digits and intended only for mainline releases, while an optional 4th part is strictly for non-mainline use and allows [a-z0-9] (but nothing else - no dash, underscore, capital or non-ASCII letters, +~ or whatever). Then use simple C locale sort order, and leave it to local branches if they want to use only letters or also leading and/or trailing digits.

Enjoy,

 - Jonas