Excerpts from Gary Martin's message of Sat Jan 29 16:09:43 +0100 2011:

> > I don't have an XO laptops but I do have a VirtualBox Fedora and Ubuntu VMs
> > running sugarlabs. What do you use as a Python editor- I was hoping to use
> > eclipse but I have used a basic introduction to VIM in my classes so it can
> > be anything. I played around in the SugarLabs Pippy editor but I was hoping
> > that I could write another machine and import.
>
> The first things I usually yum install to a new Sugar image are vim and git,
> that way I can git clone an Activity repository into the ~/Activities
> directory, tinker with it using vim, and easily git commit and git push
> changes back to the main repository after testing. If I'm going to be making
> large source changes or starting something new I'll often just work on my Mac
> using Xcode (my source editor of choice) and scp the Activity directory over
> to various Sugar builds for testing.

FWIW, I'm increasingly using sshfs to hack on code that's inside a VM.
sshfs allows you to "mount" a "remote" file system that's accessible via
ssh/sftp and access it as if it were a "local" file system. That way you
can use all the editing / VCS / whatever tools you're used to, without
having to install them inside the VM. Because the tools are running on
your "real" machine, they work as usual - including things like
copy&paste across applications (which requires special "guest additions"
in VirtualBox and doesn't work at all in KVM).

IIRC I've successfully used a special port of sshfs on MacOS X some time
ago. There are also tools for Windows that seem to provide something
similar, but I haven't tried them myself.

Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/