Hi Chris,

On 23 Aug 2012, at 19:45, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> it. :-).  I don't expect it to be tuned to re-training fossils like
> me, but at the agile minds and fingers of kids.
>
>>> I've got lots of other questions, but they are more i18n related, so
>>> I'll forego inserting them into this design thread,
>>
>> No, bring them up here if they are OSK related!
>
> Ok, you asked for it :-)
>
>>> Is there currently a mechanism for re-creating the many xkb-based
>>> layouts already designed for OLPC that never got silkscreened?
>>>
>>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard_layouts
>>
>> No, those are physical layouts not designed for OSK. There about 40 existing
>> maliit layouts that I'll update to match our OSK design modifications. And
>> then I'd imagine we will want to closely check the OSK layouts for the
>> languages we prioritise, and make sure they cover our needs (the existing
>> OLPC layouts will be a useful reference).
>>

> Getting the existing OLPC xkb designs recreated is going to be pretty
> important once the existing Maliit layouts are adapted.  It's also
> going to be a repetitive task (see attached spreadsheet), I'm
> wondering if there are hackerish methods for assisting in that task
> (scripts, spreadsheet templates, etc.)?  Even the list of OLPC xkb
> layouts in my spreadsheet is incomplete, for example, I know of a
> layout for an Inuktitut variant that Walter helped some Canadians
> design.
>
> Generating some local documentation on de novo Maliit keyboard design
> is going to pretty important as I can easily imagine getting asked a
> lot of questions about this that can no longer be put off with, "well,
> first you make a silkscreen in a factory in China. . . "
>
> I'd love to be able to do more for new languages than say go look at
> https://wiki.maliit.org/Documentation and let me know when you've
> figured out their process.  Sugar Labs is, by it's nature, an entry
> point for languages under-represented in ICT and we already do a lot
> of stuff (like glibc locale design assistance) in support of  these
> language communities.
>

> Language switching:
> So, with the "language switch key" you can toggle through a stack of
> keyboards that you've configured in the Control Panel (in advance).
> All by itself, that would be awesome and really enhance multilingual /
> multi-script input.
>
> This more-or-less implements the Language key already found on Arabic
> and Thai OLPC keyboards, but does so for all keyboards.
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Keyboard#Special_Keys
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Arabic_Keyboard
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/File:Key_arabic.jpg
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Thai_Keyboard
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/File:Key_thai.jpg
>
> This also seems to be necessary, but not sufficient, for the utopian
> ideal of toggling through UI languages / glibc locales on-the-fly
> (without going to Control Panel and rebooting).  How far away is such
> a promised land once we have keyboard switching?

FWIW, I've added the output to the discussion page from Maliit listing the
language files in a little more detail. I'll put up screenshots of the layouts
once I'm a little further along with the style/layout changes (I need to do
this as part of my layout change testing anyway):

        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User_talk:Garycmartin/Maliit

Regards,
--Gary