On 26 Aug 2012, at 21:18, Gary Martin <garycmar...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 26 Aug 2012, at 18:02, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Gary Martin <garycmar...@googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> FWIW, I've added the output to the discussion page from Maliit listing the
>>> language files in a little more detail. I'll put up screenshots of the
>>> layouts once I'm a little further along with the style/layout changes (I
>>> need to do this as part of my layout change testing anyway):
>>>
>>>       http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User_talk:Garycmartin/Maliit
>>

>> Thanks Gary.  A good start.  As things stabilize I'd love to work with
>> folks to document the variants in more detail on the wiki (including
>> links to the XML files) in a manner similar to the way the OLPC xkb
>> designs are documented on w.l.o
>>
>> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:Keyboard_layouts
>>
>> There is huge i18n/L10n potential and I can imagine a lot of interest
>> in developing additional keyboard XML files to capture scripts that
>> are not on Maliit's radar screen yet.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is that the Maliit keyboard layouts _are_ the
> language files, so if we make even to most trivial of changes for our desired
> keyboard layout (move a button or add a button etc) then any new language
> layouts we may later add will be of minimal use to Maliit upstream,
> unfortunately. Would be nice if the process could go both ways, but unlikely
> in the short term at least.

Just to keep folks in the loop, I've updates the screen shots [1] of all
language layouts as of my latest push today. Hopefully this can land in rpms
for wider testing soon – it's quite a usable set of layouts already. Now that
the layouts are tided up, next week I can do the remaining various key
migrations and key additions. Hopefully I'll also get to test and tidy up the
portrait orientation layouts.

Regards,
--Gary

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Garycmartin/Maliit_Layouts