Hi!

I've actually tried to rebuild the SPEC and it turned out that you
forgot ruby-devel build-dep which is needed if you need to compile Ruby
bindings (ruby is not enough).

On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 17:06 +0200, arnebjarn...@hotmail.com wrote:

> OK, my standard CentOS 5.5 might not have the correct rpmbuild macros
> installed???

I am not sure about your setup, but my mock build actually comes out
with correctly stripped binaries and rpmlint produces no warnings. So
yes, I suppose you have a problem with your system wich I can't diagnose
because there are too many unknowns.

Either way, as I said, this has to be done by build scripts rather than
software's Makefile, just as Debian has its dh_strip debhelper module
that is conceived for the very same purpose.

> > Also, la-files are to be excluded as they cause more harm than good.
>
> They are allowed in a devel-package, right? or should a devel-static package
> be made for the *.la files?

Check out what our prominent Autotools expert has to say on this issue:

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2008/04/14/what-about-those-la-files

To make it short, on modern Linux systems .la files are only needed in
the case if you need to do static linking AND the package does not
provide proper pkgconfig files (which is not the case for libcaca).

Best,

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev