When writing trips, left-over fractions from one time slice are added to
the next time slice.
There is also the option of writing the output as flows - either with an
exact number of vehicles (rounded down) or as a probabilistic flow (option
--flow-output.probability) where it acts more like your description above.

regards,
Jakob