Thanks for the graph, Luke.  If I take +/- 20 sec as the accuracy of a
very good sundial, then I see that I have to start correcting for
refraction around 10 deg altitude, i.e., the first hour after sunrise
and the last hour before sunset.  Since Pete Swanstrom's earliest
observation is at 7:10 am on May 6, when the sun in Boise is 16.5 deg
above the horizon, it is not surprising that he saw no refraction
effect.  If you don't feel like a stroll in the park at 5:30 am, Pete,
how about taking a series of measurements in the last hour before
sunset, between 7:30 and 8:30 pm?

Art Carlson