Roderick Wall wrote:

> Hi all,
>         I would like to design a sundial that has furniture on it to indicate
> the
> times for Muslim prayers. Does anyone know the times for Muslim prayers? I
> know that there is a prayer time before sunrise, noon (by the sun) and
> before sunset. I have also been told that there is also a prayer time when
> the shadow of a pole is as long as the height of the pole, but that is all
> I know.  Also has anyone got any information about Muslim sundials?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Roderick Wall.
>
>      (o o)            Roderick Wall
> --ooO-(_)-Ooo---------------------------
>                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>                    Melbourne Victoria Australia.
> .oooO
>  (  )   Oooo.      Would you like to build a small electric motor?
>   \ (   (   )      Yes, then have a look at:
>    \_)   ) /       http://www.Quantum.net.au/roderick/
>         (_/

Hello Roderick,

In my program zonwvlak I calculate 3 Islamic prayer lines.
Zuhr
Asr awal
Asr tani
( as written in our letters )

They are based on
nsl + 0.25 g
nsl + g
nsl + 2g

nsl = noon shadow length
g = gnomon, a pin perpendicular to the dial's plane.

These definitions seem to be the most common, but there are other
definitions as well.

There is a Turkish book by Nusret Cam
Osmanli Günes Saatleri
ISBN 975-17-0735-8
year 1990

Here you find nice pictures of Turkish dials and also the definitions as
above.

Fer de Vries.