On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, Robert E. Shapiro wrote:

>       I am researching a small (8 inch diameter) engraved-brass horizontal
> garden sundial. It is dated 1742, signed "John Jones", inscribed "Tyme
> Flyes", and has a gnomon angle off of the plate of 52 degrees. Does anyone
> have any information as to whether a "John Jones" was a dial maker in
> England in the mid-eighteenth century? Thanks very much in advance.
>
> Bob Shapiro

There are no less than six John Jones listed in Gloria Clifton's
'Directory of British Scientific Instrument Makers 1550-1851', all from
the eighteenth or nineteenth century.  None listed as selling dials, but
it's quite possible that at least one of them did.  However, I would be
extremely surprised to find a genuine eighteenth century instrument with
this sort of motto on it.  These were mostly used in the second half of
the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and are a common sight on
fakes.

Hester Higton