What format are the attachments you are trying to send?  Files have to be
opened with software that knows what the format is -- and the fomat is
typically indicated by the extension. So if you get an attachment with an
extension of .xls, then it's presumably a spreadsheet (unless it's some
other type of file that's been misnamed) and should be opened by Excel.
Gif and jpg files share the distinction of being the only two graphic
formats that are understood by all browsers and web servers.  When a web
server sends a file it has to identify its type or the browser won't know
what to do with it.  All web servers and all browsers at a minimum know
what to do with files that are txt, html, gif and jpg.  Web servers can
also announce that a file is, say .wpd or .rtf, both of which are Microsoft
protocols, and Microsoft's browser (Explorer) will handle it by opening it
as a word perfect or a rich text file.  Netscape (I don't believe) will
handle those formats.  So:  If you send an attachment of .txt, html, .gif
or .jpg, it can be opened using a browser.  If you send something else, it
should arrive OK and be saved to disk, but the recipient will have to know
what it is and open it with the appropriate software.

Jack