Hello, Alberto!

Yes, it does make a fine math problem, one you have to solve numerically
using a computer. You will indeed need two spindle-shaped gnomons, one
for spring and one for autumn. Mathematically speaking, the gnomons are
however infinite surfaces, that is, they flare to infinity near the times
of solstices! So, a totally accurate solution working throughout the
year does not exist. Various approximative solutions abound, of course.

I once wrote a report which contains all the math and lots of pictures:

   K. Ruohonen: Designing Sundials by Matlab and Maple. Tampere University
      of Technology. Department of Information Technology. Mathematics
      Software Report 9 (1994)

It is also available in the net (in Postscript):

   ftp://ftp.cc.tut.fi/pub/math/ruohonen/Raportit/PRep9/

(For those interested, the math is here formulated using matrices
and vector calculus.) In principle, the sundial face could be arbitrarily
oriented but the gnomon surfaces tend then to be very complicated. Simple
things like time shifts are easily incorporated.

   Best regards

   Keijo Ruohonen

>Very clear, David.
>Thank you also for the marvelous photo .
>My doubt is for plane dials however oriented :
>in this case does exist a shape of the gnomon good for all the hour lines ?
>This could be a fine math problem to solve, but I'm lazy !
>
>Best regards
>
>Alberto Nicelli

Keijo Ruohonen   Tampere University of Technology
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Department of Mathematics  Voice (+358) (3) 3652420
http://www.cc.tut.fi/     Tampere, FINLAND       Fax (+358) (3) 3653549