From: Robert E. Shapiro
To: sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de
Subject: Garden sundial mottoes
Date: 09 July 1998 16:14

        I am interested in the origins of motto inscriptions on early
English and
American garden sundials.

Specifically:

1) Does anyone have information about what are the EARLIEST KNOWN sundials
which are inscribed with mottoes from England? from the American colonies?
2) Does anyone know HOW COMMONLY garden sundials were inscribed with
mottoes in the 18th century in England? in the American colonies?

Thanks very much to all in advance.

Bob Shapiro
[EMAIL PROTECTED]