Don't miss the Ancient Observatory in Beijing. It dates from the time of
Kublai Khan but was rebuilt during the Ming dynasty. Jesuit missionaries
added the instruments on the roof about 400 years ago. The observatory is a
block east of the International Hotel and Beijing Railway station or about
2 km east of Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City. .

The only sundial that I saw on a quick tour was a simple equatorial dial
consisting of a stone disk pierced by a metal gnomon. This is deep in the
"Forbidden City". It seems that the Emperors were more interested in
western mechanical clocks than sundials.

Enjoy your trip,   Roger Bailey