On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Fernando Cabral <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>...This error seemed too big and too systematic to be taken
>as an accident. Could it be the case that the American
>government is lowering the GPS precision because of
>the war? Has any one noticed any similar behaviour?

Hi Fernando,

I had the same thought, so last week in the first hours of the bombing I
checked
my own GPS receiver.  I found the GPS position to agree perfectly with the
topographic map position of my backyard (to the nearest arcsecond in both
coordinates, the limit of the display).  Usually one of the numbers differs in
the last digit, but not that night!

-- Roger
                         |  Roger W. Sinnott  |
                         |  Associate Editor  |