Dear all,
There's been a lot of discussion recently about astrolabes.  I'd like
to draw people's attention to a forthcoming catalog of western
astrolabes and astrolabe-quadrants at the Adler Planetarium and
Astronomy Museum in Chicago.  The Adler has one of the finest
collections of astrolabes in North America.  This catalogue not only
describes the western instruments, but contains interpretive essays on
astrolabes in scientific and social context.  The catalog was written
by Roderick and Marjorie Webster.  I wrote the introductory essay on
astrolabes in cross-cultural perspective.

The catalog should be available in mid-May, if the printer's word is
to be trusted.  As soon as it's ready, I will send a notice to the
list with information on how to order it.

Sara Schechner Genuth
Editor

Gnomon Research
__Curators on Call