My apologies to Mr. Moss, since I think his mystery proverb question is
actually more fun than the above idea. Also, I did search the archive to
see if this had been addressed before.

My beloved daughter, who on occasion has the tongue of an asp when the
situation calls for it, suggested the above last week after I had spent
quite a bit of submerged time trying to right a small sailboat I had
turtled. I'm not sure if she was joking or not...

I am a reasonably good craftsman, and can follow mathematical "recipes"
as well as anyone, but I go into brainlock whenever innovative reasoning
is called for.  Thus, the question.  Postulating a dialist with too much
time on his hands, who has a tranquil artificial backyard pond with good
sun exposure, and who wants to impress the neighbors, how would one have
to modify the hour line equation for horizontal dials to take into
account the way the refraction of water?  From what I recall from high
school physics, would there not also be portions of the dial on either
side of the style where sunlight would not penetrate, due to the light
rays bouncing back off the water after a certain slant had been reached?

Also, has anyone tried this before?

Any advices would be appreciated, and thank you.

All best,

Bill Daciuk
Swarthmore PA  USA  39 54 N, 75 21 W