On Mon, 17 May 1999, John Carmichael wrote:

> Hi Ross:
>
> >Getting a small, very long focal length lens (or mirror) to replace the
> >pinhole
> >can solve the problem, at the risk of introducing some image aberrations,
> >including chromatic, visible at the edges of the solar disk.  This was of
> >course used to great effect on Kitt Peak in the wonderful solar telescope
> >there that I visited a few months ago.
> >
> >The question is one of whether you or your astronomer friends knows of an
> >optical system which produces the effect of a long focal length, but with a
> >much shorter distance from the optical system to the focal plane.
>
> Sounds impossible to me, but I'll ask my astronomer friends.
>
> Take care,
>
> John

Much easier than it sounds, John!  It's called a "telescope", or
"telephoto lens"! Seriously, a simple telephoto lens is a basic Galillean
telescope. Largish, long focal length positive objective lens, and a
small, short focal length *negative* eyepiece lens. The long focal length
is mostly consumed between the objective and the eyepiece. The rays coming
out of the eye lens can be focussed on a card at any desired distance,
giving a large, well focussed image. It will of course be dimmer than the
direct sunlight, so you need to shade it like any other method. A small
spotting 'scope, half a binocular, the finder scope from a larger
instrument, or that spare telephoto lens all will work.

Dave