Hello, All!
        Several years ago we were able to see a partial solar eclipse not
too far away from local noon.  Knowing the principal, I asked him whether
he'd not like me to set up a viewing scheme for the grade school my
children attended.  He agreed, and I covered all the south-facing windows
of a class-room (it was the music room) except for a pinhole in a piece
of aluminum foil over one pane of one window.  I put a sheet of white
paper on a music stand some 6-8 metres away, and found a good-sized
projected image of the sun on the sheet.  One could distinguish a few spots.
        The children filed by slowly, all the time remaning somewhat
awed.  From time to time I moved the stand to keep pace with the sun's
motion.  It worked quite well.
        One unexpected benefit, for me who became dark-adapted in the
unlighted room, was that this was, of course, a camera obscura.  It was
great fun to be able to see birds on the telephone wire outside -- upside
down!
        I recommend the technique as one that is simple and very
enjoyable.  As I recall, the pinhole was only a couple of millimetres in
diameter.
        John