Jim and John,
Indeed the "épure" is the result of projecting a
3-D figure onto one or many  planes according to
the rules of  a branch of geometry we call in
french "géométrie descriptive". It is still used
in technical drawing  and the method was very
popular in gnomonics before the PCs and the
hand-held computers. It is a bit obsolete now,
except for drawing the hours lines of the most
simple sundials for teaching purposes.
Good luck

Jean-Paul Cornec
22300 LANNION
FRANCE

----------
> De : Jim Morrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> A : sundial <sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
> Objet : Fw: epure
> Date : vendredi 4 juin 1999 17:13
>
> John,
>
> My French is not what it once was, but I think
an épure is just a working

http://myhouse.com/mc/planet/astrodir/astrolab.htm

book for the first time.  In
> > laying out hour lines for many types of
sundials, Rohr uses a devise
> called
> > an "epure" (w/ an accent mark over the last
e.).  He assumes that the
> reader
> > knows what this is.  From the context I think
it must be some sort of
> > drawing tool or something like a trigon, but
I'm not sure.  Does anybody
> > know?  Is it still used by any of you?
Supposedly it aids in laying out
> > hour lines using graphic methods, but many of
Rohr's drawings are so
> > complicated, that they are very difficult to
understand.

> > I'm so glad that my first sundial book was
the easy to read Mayalls' book.
> > I think that if I had started with Rohr I
would have given up!