Sometimes they called the Nomograms the earliest solid state calculators
for complex algorithms.
I always loved Nomograms because understanding them was understanding the
problem/algorithm. I you succeeded in making one you had the same feeling
as making a new type of sundial.

Thibaud Chabot

At 18:03 4-6-99 +0000, you wrote:
-----Original Message/Oorspronkelijk bericht--------------
>I went to a semi vocational high school in NY called Brooklyn Tech. We
>were required back in those days (about 1964) to take much mechanical
>drawing and shops. I took one course called Descriptive Geometry in
>which we used the techniques you describe to build "Nomographs" or
>"Nomograms" whichever is the proper usage. Wish I could remember what
>text we used, I'd love to take another look at it.
>
>regards,
>
>Tony DeVito
>
>Jean-Paul Cornec wrote:
>
>> Jim and John,
>> Indeed the "épure" is the result of projecting a
>> 3-D figure onto one or many  planes according to
>> the rules of  a branch of geometry we call in
>> french "géométrie descriptive". It is still used
>> in technical drawing  and the method was very
>> popular in gnomonics before the PCs and the
>> hand-held computers. It is a bit obsolete now,
>> except for drawing the hours lines of the most
>> simple sundials for teaching purposes.
>> Good luck
>>
>> Jean-Paul Cornec
>> 22300 LANNION
>> FRANCE
>>
>> ----------
>> > De : Jim Morrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> > A : sundial <sundial@rrz.uni-koeln.de>
>> > Objet : Fw: epure
>> > Date : vendredi 4 juin 1999 17:13
>> >
>> > John,
>> >
>> > My French is not what it once was, but I think
>> an épure is just a working
>> > drawing.
>> >
>> > Jim
>> >
>> > James E. Morrison
>> > Astrolabe web pages at:
>> http://myhouse.com/mc/planet/astrodir/astrolab.htm

Thibaud Taudin-Chabot
52°18'19.85" North  04°51'09.45" East
home email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(attachments max. 500kB; for larger attachments contact me first)