Slawek,

Couldn't agree more with you about the attraction of sextants.

But, I feel I must disagree with you about your final sentence. We
are not "watching the beginning of an end of the glorious sextant
era". It actually ended the day the price of GPSs dropped below
$1000.

Now that GPS are < $US400, sextants are an interesting curiosity of
the past. Same as slide rules. I mourn their passing, but I LOVE what
I can do with my GPS.

I don't know if I raved about it before...

I have bought 1:250,000 scale topographic maps of Australia on CD
(as tiff files). Load them onto my notebook. Load georef files (small
files that tell the computer that a certain x y position of the
cursor on the screen is the same as a certain lat/long). Attach a
cable linking the GPS to the notebook. Load some software
(OziExplorer, cost about $US50) and off I go. Tracks my route in real
time as I drive. Plus lots of other features.

More and more maps (AND nautical charts) are available on CD. The
USGS sells CDs for each 1 degree square. Each CD has all the maps of
that quadrangle from small scale to large scale. This is actually
very inconvenient if all you want is coverage of e.g. Arizona at
1:250,000. The USGS basically told me to go to hell (a very
intelligent response to a client waving his credit card at you!) They
were not willing to burn a custom CD for me. So I went to a company
called LandInfo and they were really helpful.

Micropath appear to offer similar service.

LandInfo: http://www.landinfo.com/
Micropath: http://www.micropath.com/

USGS digital raster graphics: http://mcmcweb.er.usgs.gov/drg/

Software:

OziExplorer: http://www.powerup.com.au/~lornew/oziexp.html

There are specific sites on the web devoted to GPS (in general, not
particular brands.) These have reviews of OziExplorer and
competitive software, and various hardware. Also discuss Y2K and
GPS (basically no problem with most brands). I have lost my bookmark
to these URLs. Sorry.

So, back to sextants: buy a good one now as an investment for your
grandkids. Production will rapidly cease and they will start
appreciating in value. Bit sad, but then look what happened to
sundials!

John