Roger,

Ah, the joys of a TI 59! I spent hours programming the beast to
reduce my data when I was in Antarctica in 1980. I thought it was
wonderful. Eventually I gave it away complete with all  the modules,
the mag cards, the programs and the manuals to a guy who collects
them. I hope it is a good home.

Slide rules. Yep, I still have mine. Have you ever looked at Bion
"Mathematical instruments" printed in about 1700. Rita Shenton
sells it. Persuade your family to buy it for your birthday. Gives you
instructions on how to make just about every form of instrument,
including slide rules. Great book. HUGE book! Almost A3 in size,
and about 2" thick. Just the job for accompanying your wee dram!

John

PS: A flash thought just before I hit the "send" button: GPSs have no
SOUL. They have no connection with anything other than the US
military. (No, I am not deriding the US or any other military). Thus
there is no connection with the cosmos other than a hunk of metal
hanging in the sky. Not terribly romantic, but highly accurate. Yeah,
well I also like soul! I suspect that is a feeling with most of us on
the list.