Hello John,

        You're pretty unbelievable too ;) Here (I hope) are some answers
to some of your questions.

1) The obliquity effect is responsible for the figure-eight shape. It's
shaped this way because the obliquity value in the course of one year
has four zeros, i.e., two maximums and two minimums. The eccentricity
effect results in an elliptical shape, it does not "cross-over" on
itself (form a figure-eight) because it has only two zeros, i.e., one
maximum and one minimum.

The following URL illustrates the graphs of the two components over the
course of a year and how they combine to result in the EoT. Remember
that the EoT is the summed difference of the apparent solar day length
and mean solar day length. You can see this directly be tracking the
solar day length at various dates in Graph A and see how they effect
"the total" below in Graph B. For example, when the day length value in
Graph A goes through zero the EoT value in Graph B is at a maximum, this
makes sense, yes?

ftp://ftp.gcstudio.com/pub/sundial/sday_eot.gif

The following URL illustrates the shape of each of the two components as
well as the final result when the two are combined, i.e., the Analemma
itself.

ftp://ftp.gcstudio.com/pub/sundial/analemma.gif

2) The magnitudes of each of these two effects AND the phase in which
they are related to one another determines the final shape. It's
possible where one effect alone can dominate. In the case of Mercury,
eccentricity alone determines the shape. For example, in the solar day
and EoT graph (first URL above) visualize what would occur if you were
to slide the eccentricity values around the fixed obliquity values, this
would change how they combine, right? Something similar is actually
occurring, i.e., the longitude of perihelion and the vernal equinox are
moving relative to one another at almost an arc-min per year! Also, the
magnitudes of obliquity and eccentricity change in time as well but on a
much slower scale.

In summary:

1) Obliquity (if it exists) causes the figure-eight
2) Eccentricity (if it exists - and Kepler seemed to think so) distorts
the shape of the figure eight.
3) The distortion is created when the two are combined. This in turn
depends on each of their relative magnitudes and how they are related to
one another, i.e., their phase to one another.
4) Remember that in the physical sense these two effect are modulating
the apparent right ascension of the Sun, i.e., the EoT = RA(apparent) -
RA(mean). THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT!!!
5) Consider how the values operate on a daily basis and then realize
that it is their summation that lead to the EoT.

        Finally, Mars has a high eccentricity value, third highest in
the solar system (Earth has the third lowest) and a moderate obliquity
value (very close to our own). Eccentricity is dominate, i.e., no
figure-eight.

-Luke