Patrick Powers has a point here, but on balance I think fernando (with a
small 'f' !) has a stronger point. If we can't ever enjoy these things,
then there really is no point in having them. I think there is another
argument. Rather like the world of art (paintings, mainly) the better a
piece is known worldwide, the harder it is to do anything with it if you
hold it illegally. Given the ability with today's technology (not to
mention tomorrow's) instantly to send a picture to virtually every diallist
around the world to warn them of a theft, the situation should be getting
better rather than worse. Consequently I believe that the more a dial is
shown to those who have interests in such things (and amongst them are the
ones who are most likely to want to own them, even at any cost), the harder
it becomes for them to hold such a dial knowing that it is stolen -
eventually someone will recognise it, and questions will be asked. Of
course this does not stop a thief from melting a dial down for its brass,
any more than the art world can stop a thief from burning a well-known
stolen work. Yes, we should be careful, but not to the point of paranoia,
and we should be vigilant, especially those who buy and sell or auction
these things. Finally, if we take the road of keeping these items
ultra-secret, aren't the thieves, vandals and hooligans winning? Surely we
should be taking the war to them and showing them that there is no hiding
place, across the world, and that eventually a stolen dial WILL be traced.
Perhaps we should start to fix 'official' (that is BSS in UK, NASS in
N.America, etc) stainless-steel plates to dial pillars, walls etc stating
that the dial is fully logged and known the world over, as a deterrent.

Peter Tandy