Hello,

Following Peter's excellent idea:

It seems sensible to develop an international registration system which:
1)    Assigns a unique identifier to each dial, with priority given to publicly
accessible dials.
2)    Stores identifiers and pics of each dial in some sort of web accessible
searchable file.
3)    Encourages owners and organizations to display the identifier and any
other theft-deterrent information at the dial site, or on the dial itself if
advisable.

To achieve two purposes:
1)    Broaden public appreciation of the dialist's art, science and craft over
the years.
2)    Enhance the security of dials, especially publicly accessible ones.

Maybe a discussion on this list looking at purposes, feasibility, system
attributes and development and maintenance would be helpful.

Tom

Peter Tandy wrote:

> Patrick Powers has a point here, but on balance I think fernando (with a
> small 'f' !) has a stronger point. If we can't ever enjoy these things,
> then there really is no point in having them.

<Snip>