Hello John,

My advice is "Don't go there. There be monsters!" *

The motion of the moon is quite complicated and the "equation of time"
shortcut will not work. You were right is concluding that the solar
"equation of time" does not apply, and the eccentricity and obliquity of
the ecliptic were the determinants of the equation of time. The major
problem with the moon is the time between new moons (lunation) is 29.53
days, different from the orbital period of 27.32 days. This means the
declination cycle, connected with the orbital period, is out of phase with
the lunation cycle. If it did work the limits of the geocentric declination
are +/- 29 degrees, greater that the 23.44 we are used to for the sun. The
eccentricity is larger 0.0549 vs 0.0167. But I would guess that a larger
effect is due to the difference between the geocentric co-ordinates
compared to the actual rotation around the barycenter of the mutually
orbiting bodies. It would take quite a table, equivalent to an almanac, to
correct for all these effects. The usual 48 minutes per day correction can
only be an approximation.

I would also speculate that the largest error in such a table would be
determining the start point. Half a day off on the new or full moon
determination would be almost half an hour off in the time check.

For night time checks, I use a "nocturnal" and determine the time based on
the rotation of the big dipper around Polaris. The date / sidereal time
correction is easier to build into the instrument.

Thanks for the good question. I know the celestial "mechanics" will have
better answers, including numbers, but I have enjoyed the challenge.

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N51  W115

* The quotation is typical of old charts identifying "Terra Incognita".