Hi John,

This hazard is being been taken seriously. I have seen design plans for
such a UV indicator in a major circulation magazine. (Sky and Telescope?).
This was published around the time of the initial antarctic hole in the
ozone story and the reports of sheep in Patagonia with fried eyeballs.
Being antipodean, you should be worried!

The UV indicator dial looked much like the Martian dial of Bill Nye and
Woody Sullivan. The circular lines did not just show the altitude of the
sun or rate the hazard as a simple cosine function. The thickness of the
ozone layer penetrated by UV rays at different angles was also considered.
Now I wish I had kept the article and built the dial.

The Weather Channel here gives routine reports of the UV hazard. A
theoretical graph calculated using the same math as the dial shows the
hazard rating (0 to 10) and the number of Dobson Units of UV  radiation.
Local factors like cloud cover are not considered. "This is not a joke."

I have my own very sensitive sensor of UV radiation. A very bald head.

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 51  W 115
where the noon sun has risen from 15.5 to almost at 60 degrees!