Quite a while ago I asked the following question on sundial trigonometry.

>> My challenge to all for today is to simply explain
>the basic formula for horizontal dials: Tan HA = Sin L x Tan t.

Mac Oglesby responded with the following answer which is much better than
my proposed proof.

>Fred gave a demonstration of why this is true in an early issue of
>Compendium (1-4, I think).  I find the attached drawing (Tan_A.GIF)
>easier for me to follow.
>
>Best, Mac

Luke Coletti responded by pointing to the followin graphic that
demonstrates the phenomenon very well.

>       A very nice derivation can be found in "A Choice of Sundials", by
>Winthrop W. Dolan, pg. 20-21. For those seeking a more intuitive
>approach, the graphic, inside the book's dust jacket, of a horizontal
>plane "embedded" within the celestial sphere gives a marvelous
>description of why the hour lines are drawn at the angles they are.
>Simply put, the hour lines of the dial must reach out to intersect the
>projected meridian lines. An example of the graphic (made for lat=36.5d)
>can be viewed at the URL below.

>ftp://ftp.gcstudio.com/pub/misc/gcdial.jpg

Thanks Mac, Fred and Luke for SENDING ANSWERS.

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 51  W 115
Attachment converted: Macintosh HD:Tan_A.GIF 1 (GIFf/JVWR) (0000810C)