Hi All,

To me the question is not more or less math, but how can certain concepts best
be
shown or learned.  Fer de Vries had a set of steps to construct that helped me
understand the eot.  His hemispherium is also a construction that everyone
should
do.  The math, like C=2(pi)r,  has reasons behind them.  Some relationships
require the math.  I like the variety of the Compendium - it has something for
everyone.

More notes to follow:

Roger Bailey wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> At 09:15 AM 10/13/99 -0700, John Carmichael wrote:
> >
> >First, someone could write an article or series of articles on basic
> >beginning trigonometry as it applies to dialing.
>
> Don't forget the quote from my old trig teacher, "All knowledge comes up
> through a pencil." The best way to learn sundial trig is to do what you and
> I have done. Work it through. Reading equations or hearing a lecture just
> doesn't do it!
>
> >Secondly, I was surprised by how few professional full-time dial makers
> >attended the conference.  Maybe they weren't there because they don't exist.
> >I saw a lot of dialing hobbiests with paper, plastic or wooden sundials.
>
> Your stone dial weighs over 400 lbs. The sun sculptures of Kate Pond and
> Robert Adzema weigh megatons. Real dials are not that transportable
> although I once finished a presentation by unveiling the Walking Shadow
> dial, a 4' x 8' triangular piece of heavy composition board. It stole the
> show but transporting it over 100 miles inside my VW Golf was a problem.
>
> Good to meet you at the NASS conference. Please continue to ask the
> challenging questions. My challenge to all for today is to simply explain
> the basic formula for horizontal dials: Tan HA = Sin L x Tan t.

There was a display of clear plastic triangles, ideal for an overhead,  at the
NASS meeting that did just that.  I think it was Don Petrie that displayed them.
I think he will sell a new set for around $70.

Happy Dialling,

Warren Thom  (Lat=42n  Long=88w)