As far as I understood the main reason for using sun compasses in the
Sahara was that a magnetic compass would be rather unreliable on those
moving masses of steel called tanks during WW2.

At 08:04 24-3-99 +1000, you wrote:
-----Original Message/Oorspronkelijk bericht--------------
>Folks,
>
>Roger's comment re sun compasses is correct and also applies
>partially to Antarctica.
>
>Up to at least the 1970s, ANARE (Australian National Antarctic
>Research Expeditions) used surplus military Astro Compasses on
>over-ice traverses.
>
>When I wintered at Davis Station 68o 35' S 78o 00'E, we used
>magnetic compasses ALL the time. All I had to do was remember that
>the deviation was 78o W (I think it was west!). At times, this caused
>some interesting discussions about directions!
>
>Altho the large deviation was inconvenient, it was not really a
>problem.
>
>Of course, GPSs have ended all that!
>
>John
>

>Dr John Pickard
>Senior Lecturer, Environmental Planning
>Graduate School of the Environment
>Macquarie University, NSW 2109 Australia
>Phone + 61 2 9850 7981 (work)
>      + 61 2 9482 8647 (home)
>Fax   + 61 2 9850 7972 (work)

Thibaud Taudin-Chabot, home email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(attachments max 500kB, in case of larger attachments contact me)