4/3/00
Does anyone know why the equation of time is indexed to zero on 9/1, 12/25,
etc.?  That is to say, when the clock was originally being indexed to the sun
(17th century?), why did they pick this set of dates as the zero point?  Why
not, for example, set the clock to where the analemma crosses itself, or to
one of the solstices, or equinoxes?  I'm sure there is a good reason, but I
haven't been able to think of it.  Maybe it has to do with indexing the clock
to sidereal time, and not to sun time.  Any takers?

Bill Gottesman
Burlington, VT