Hi Patrick & others:

Thanks for confirming that declination lines can't easily be drawn or used.

 I think I'll just use hour, 1/2 hr and 15 min lines.  I can, however,
indicate the time and direction of sunrize and sunset for different dates
along the outer perimeter  if I also mark the dial center (which is located
south of where the people stand for time telling)  At sunrise and sunset, if
a person stands at the center, his shadow will indicate the time and
direction of sunrise and sunset for any date that is marked. (The shadow of
a vertical nodus at dial center merges with the shadow of a polar axis style
three times a day- at sunrise, noon, and sunest)  I use this design on my
stone monofilar dials.

Or, instead of using a person, I could place a vandal-resistant vertical
post, pilar or obelisk at the dial center which could be used for sunset &
sunrise date/time/ direction readings and this would also give the dial a
three- dimensional aspect as suggested by Sara Schechner. This would draw
attention to the dial.  Also, the hour lines would radiate from this point.

Also, in order to be able to tell time with short shadows around noon in the
summer and to accomodate short people, it will be very important to mark the
hour lines as close as possible to the gnomon foot (where the people stand).
Correct?

By the way, what do you think of marking the places the human gnomons should
stand using four sets of  footprints (4ft. 5ft. 6ft. & 7ft,)? Sort of corney
and not very artistic, huh?

>However, I certainly think you would be wise to try a test example of all
>this before proceeding or committing to your client!

I'm very confident that this design will work, even without testing.  But
I've been wrong before.  Like you, I'm a firm believer in testing and
experiments.  When in doubt....

>I am aware of one such dial recently designed like this (though not with
>declination lines as far as I know) here in the UK.  They are certainly not
>common.

Have any of you dialists ever seen one of these sundials or have have any
fotos I wonder?  I certainly have never seen one.  I might have to tell my
client that no fotos exist, and that his dial is extremely rare.  He'll love it!

Thanks

John