Hi Dave,

You are correct in your conclusions that analemmatic designs have hour
points rather than hour lines and a universal analemmatic design would
require a series of nested dials.

Fred Sawyer and Ron Anthony collaborated to produce a beautiful universal
analemmatic design based on this concept. Look for the "NASS Madjet" in the
latest NASS Compendium (7-2). The nested ellipses form a striking design
which they interpret from Egyptian mythology as "Madjet, the papyrus sun
boat on which Ra daily carries the great sun disk across the sky."

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 51  W 115