Hello John,

This thread just gets more and more intriguing! It'll be fascinating to see the end result. IMHO, you'd be well advised to make scale models to 'proof out' your designs. For example, fuzziness of the nodus shadow is likely to be a relatively minor factor affecting accuracy--much more important is likely to be the inability of the nodus to be at the correct location, since children (of all ages) don't stand straight, or still, or even at the proper footprint.

One reason why most analemmatic dials have hour points only is due to the unpredictable behavior of the human gnomon. If you like the appearance, by all means place quarter-hour lines on your 'human horizontal dial' for aesthetic reasons, but don't expect a sundial with a human gnomon or nodus to give very accurate time.

Good luck,

Mac Oglesby

P.S. And think about exactly what do you consider to be the nodus. The center of the human's head? Or what?

Hi Patrick:

Your idea of a wall to receive the morning and afternoon shadows is a great
solution to the problem.  But I will have to give it careful consideration
if I use it or not because of the additional expense and effort. (Also,
vandals love to paint walls).

This dial will have the typical "bow tie" shape of  a vertical nodus
horizontal dial. The decision must be made on where to terminate the drawing
of the dial face on its eastern and western edges.

One critical factor in determining the size of the face is the "fuzzy
factor" of shadows.  In previous threads we have discussed that no point on
the dial face should be much farther than 100 times the width of a spherical
nodus; otherwise the shadow becomes too indistinct and fuzzy.

If a person's head nodus measures about 8 inches in diameter, then the
maximum distance from head to dial face cannot exceed( 8 x 100)/12=67 feet.

Does this look correct to you?

John