On Sat 12 Feb 2000 (18:44:30), [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The reason I suggested inches for the optical resolution table was that
> all
> of the metals that we use for gnomons such as rods, spheres, plates,
> and
> cables are sold in inches or fractions thereof, in the US anyway.  I
> agree
> that most people who have to do math would prefer to use metric, myself
> included, but we're stuck with the old outdated system and have to live
> with it.
>
> John

What exactly is the current situation, in the UNITED STATES, re. 'metric'
measurements ? - as I was led to believe it is the LEGAL standard there !

When our business first started exporting the customized Layout Plans for
"Sunclocks" (Human Sundials) to the USA, about 12 or 13 years ago - I was
told by the DTI (Department of Trade and Industry, in the UK) that metric
measurements had to be used on 'all working drawings' sent to the USA, as
it was the only 'legally acceptable' standard, (in the case of disputes).

Apparently, USA Congress had approved legislation in 1968, to change-over
to the 'metric' system "within ten years" (i.e, more than 20 years ago) !

Although most of our customers are Schools (who seem to prefer the metric
system), we also get requests from other people (including Architects) to
have measurements in 'Feet and Inches' - as "that is what the USA wants".

We have to point out to them that (for legal reasons) we are only allowed
to send our Layout Plans to the USA with 'metric' dimensions, even though
they would prefer these in Feet & Inches - and thus my question above, to
hear the views of any USA members of the Mailing List, on this situation.

Best Regards,

Douglas Hunt.

--
"MODERN SUNCLOCKS" - 'Human Sundials', using YOUR OWN SHADOW to tell time.

Looking for a useful self-funding Millennium-marker ? - you've found one !
For details, see Web-site at http://www.argonet.co.uk/education/sunclocks/

Mail Address: 1 Love Street, Kilwinning, Ayrshire, Scotland, KA13 7LQ, UK.
Tel & Fax (UK): 01294-552250.   International Tel & Fax: + 44 1294 552250.
E-mails to: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" or "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"