Hi all,

I have read with a lot of interest the numerous messages dealing with  the
azimuthal sundials and I have noticed that sometime there is a little
confusion on the names that we use for the different  types of sundials.
I write you my opinion.

In the sundials the time is pointed out from the shadow or of a point
(nodus) or of a curve (generally a rectilinear style). The calculation of
the position of this shadow depends - except rare cases - from the two
coordinates that determine the position of the Sun in the sky : hour angle
and declination of the Sun (equatorial coordinates) or Azimuth and Height
(local coordinates).
Moreover obviously the Latitude and Longitude of the place.

If we want that the position of the shadow depends only on one of the
coordinates we have to consider as element that casts the shadow a
rectilinear style whose shadow intersects a set of date  lines that we can
trace as we want on the dial
.
In an azimuthal sundial the only coordinate that we want employ is the
azimuth of the Sun.
Since the azimuth is the angle that the vertical plane containing  the Sun
makes with the meridian plane (and therefore it is the angle between planes
all passing through the vertical line of the place) the only style that is
possible to use for having a REAL azimuthal sundial is a vertical style.
The Azimuth is given by the angle that the shadow of this vertical style
forms with the line N-S

If the plane is horizontal we have the several sundials that Fer de Vries
has shown with concentric circles as date line ;
 if the plane is vertical it is opportune (but not necessary) to take the
date lines horizontal; etc.
A really azimuthal sundial can be obviously built also on a tilted plane
(the style always vertical ! )
The well known Analemmatic Sundial is an Azimuthal S.

In the same way  if we want that the position of the shadow depends only on
the hour angle we have to take a polar style,  that is a style parallel to
the straight line through which all the hour planes pass : all the sundials
with Apparent Time with polar style are so.

In similar  way we can build sundials in which the position of the shadow
depends only on  the "Meridian angle"  or on  the "Vertical angle"  (see the
Ptolemaic Coordinates in "The Compendium",  March 1999). In this cases the
style would have to be horizontal in direction E-W and in direction N-S.

In all the other cases (for ex. Horizontal plane  with tilted style,
vertical plane  with horizontal style, etc.) the position of the shadow
doesn't depends only on one  coordinate (Azimuth) but also from the Height
of
the Sun : for this  reason they cannot be called strictly azimuthal.

Since I could not call azimuthal these solar clocks (because they don't have
this characteristic  even if their shape  look like  azimuthal) I have
called them (in my program with which them  can be calculated) "Monofilar"
since the shadow  is made  only from one style or " thread " (filus).

This in analogy with the well known " bifilar " Sundials  in which the time
is indicated by the point  where the shadows of two different straight lines
or " threads " cross each other.

Best regards

Gianni Ferrari