Here is another belated viewpoint.
The List server was down when I tried to post this twice on Monday.

John Carmichael wrote:

> 2.  To determine longitude at sea, Harrison's clock was carried on board a
> ship traveling west.  The clock was set before the journey to show apparent
> solar time in Greenwich.  The difference between local solar time on the
> ship and the time on the clock was used to determine longitude.
>
> To determine local solar time on the ship, Harrison used a sextant to look
> at the sun.  How can a sextant, by itself, indicate the time?  To determine
> high noon, wouldn't he only need a compass to know when the sun "souths" at
> high noon?

As a past navigator, I was very upset with the two scenes I happened to
see of what was supposed to be an "observation" to determine longitude.
There was no marking of time at the moment of observation except, in the
one scene, long afterward, and only a single observation was supposedly
used.  As Andrew James pointed out, and as I understand it, a sextant
can be used to determine "culmination", or the highest altitude of the
sun as an indication of local noon.  For this, at least two observations
are needed.

If we also note that these observers did not appear to be even looking
at the sun, one wonders what expert help the director had?  I will have
to look at the program again today.

Here is a question for those familiar with 18th century English life.
Another thing that bothered me was the almost constant wearing of
powdered wigs.  Is it true that a naval officer would wear such things
AT SEA?  Was not the uniform sufficient to establish one's station?

A TV reviewer, Howard Rosenberg, wrote a review in the L A Times on July
8.  As he pointed out, Sobel devoted less than three pages to the 20th
century figure, Rupert Gould.  He found that the constant interjection
of this very detracting.  I did also, but I understand that the
screenplay needs some vehicle to carry the commentary that Sobel placed
in her text.  However, the details of his life seemed unnecessary.

You can find Rosenberg's review at
http://www.calendarlive.com/tvent/20000707/t000064126.html.
 or search the archives of the LA Times at www.latimes.com.

Claude Hartman
35N  120W (quite removed in time and location from this history)