All

> John Carmichael wrote:
> >

> > 2.  To determine longitude at sea, Harrison's clock was carried on board
> > ship traveling west.  The clock was set before the journey to show
apparent
> > solar time in Greenwich.  The difference between local solar time on the
> > ship and the time on the clock was used to determine longitude.
> >
> > To determine local solar time on the ship, Harrison used a sextant to
look
> > at the sun.  How can a sextant, by itself, indicate the time?  To
determine
> > high noon, wouldn't he only need a compass to know when the sun "souths"
at
> > high noon?

The following is from the manual that came with my sextant.  It reminds me
very much of a dialier's method of finding North.

To find local noon, follow the sun up with a series of sights, starting
about half an hour before estimated local noon.  Note the time and the
sextant reading carefully.  Take a sight about every three minutes untill
the sun's altitude is no longer increasing.  During the meridian passage,
the sun will seem to "hang" in the sky for a short period at its highest
point, going neither up nor down.  Carefully note the sextant reading.  This
is the sun's altitude at meridian passage.  To determine the exact time of
local noon, set your sextant at the altitude as your first sight.  Wait for
the sun to drop to this altitude, and note the time again.  The time of
local noon is exactly half way between the times of the two [first and last]
sights.

I think the time readings were taken by what was called in the movie, "a
deck watch".

++ron