Alain MORY wrote:

> I did'nt clearly expose my problem : A wall must be built above a
> foundation that has to be exactly oriented face to south. This wall will
> contain an iron armature, so that a magnetic compass will not work
> exactly near the wall.

I don't see this as a problem. First, because since the wall is not
built yet, its armature is not a problem. You can locate the wall
using the magnetic compass. You put a line in place and you are done.

The only problem I see here is how precise this measure can
be. You would have to use a very good compass. And you would
have to use it in a very professional way. You should take care
both of magnetic declination and problems with the compass itself.

You could easily end up with an error of 3 or 4 degrees, or even
more.

Now, even if you already have some magnetic influence on the
place, this still should not be a problem. You can go as further
away as you want (and can). Than you take a sight (for instance,
using a engineering or militar compass) as you ask someone to put
in place two stakes in the East/West direction.

> So I thought to give an azimuth to the workers, for example by saying :
> the wall must be perfectly aligned with this house angle an with this
> treee.

If the workers can follow this kind of instruction, ok. But it certainly
would be easier to put the stakes in the right place and tie a line
between them so the wall can just be built along the line.

> I thought that it was possible to point with the GPS particular points
> around the wanted site.
> I will take relatively far points to give a better accurate guideline
> (e.g. some mountains twenty km far from my wall)
> Is it playable ?

For this the compass maybe more precise than the GPS.
The GPS only shows the direction when you are moving.
In this case you should be moving in a straight line. Maybe
repeating the movement back and forth, until you find
the azimuth you want.

Does not seem an easy task. Or even desirable.

Now, you could use the GPS to take several fixes
in far away points (5, 10 or even 20 km). The further
away, the less important the error the GPS will be
presenting (you should expect up to 100 m).

Then, after taking the proper fixes you could connect them
visually and from that line derive the azimuth you want.

Finally, I don't think neither the compass nor the GPS is
a good solution for the problem you have. I think for this
particular case a time-proven solution of using the
sun shadow is still  easier, more precise and less cumbersome.

Just put a vertical stake on the. You can also use a plumb line with
a node somewhere at a suitable hight. Now, at chosen intervals,
like 9 o'clock, 10 o'clock... until  noon, mark in the ground where
the stake shadow ends. For each mark, draw a circle having
the stake as the center.

In the afternoon, mark where the shadow is at each corresponding
hour. That is, 1 pm, 2 pm and 3 pm corresponding, respectively
to 11 am, 10 am and 9 am.

Now draw a line connecting each pair of hour. Now pick one of the
lines and bisect it and draw a perpendicular line. This line should coincide

with the noon line. Also, if everything is ok, this perpendicular should
bisect all the other lines.

Two marks should suffice. Say, 11 am and 1 pm. Nevertheless, it is
always good to have several marks. On one hand, because you may
have clouds at the right time, making it impossible to draw the second
mark when the time comes. If you have several marks then you will
have as many opportunities to find the second mark.

On the other hand, if you have several marks you can always check
one against the others. This means more certainty.

If the stake if correctly placed in the vertical you will end up with a very

precise North/South line from which you can find any azimuth you
may need. (By the way, the closer the solstice on the "other" hemisphere
the more price the measuring will be).

I do think this method is easier and more precise than the compass and
the GPS (at least in "normal" usage).

Regards

- fernando

--
Fernando Cabral                         Padrao iX Sistemas Abertos
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://www.pix.com.br