Hi Steve:

It's an interesting thought to use the moon's shadow at sunrise and sunset
on the equinox to locate your east-west points.  Although this can be done
with the sun, you would have errors using the moon, unless there is an
eclipse on the equinox also.  If the moon is not in the same plane as the
sun, it will not act like the sun.

Since the moon moves about two minutes/hour eastward in the sky, the only
way you can do this with precision is to use precisely calculated times and
lunar coordinates such as those sent to you by Jim Cobb.  First you would
find the meridian with the moon, using Jim's data, then find east/west.

If there was a lunar eclipse on the equinox, then you would have to have a
good unobstructed view of the east and west horizons which you probably have
or else you wouldn't have asked the question.

For fun, though, let's make the moon readings anyway to see what happens!
We'll share our results after the event.

Thanks for the luny question,

John Carmichael