At 10:35 PM 5/11/00 +0200, you wrote:

>Next week we have our spring meeting of  the "Commission des Cadrans
>Solaires" in Paris. And some people dealing with dials restoration could be
>interested in restoring the dial you mention. So could you, please, send me
>the references of that dial (the "Catalogue des Cadrans Solaires" is really
>big !).

Bonjour Jean-Paul,

The chateau is "Mas de la Brune", 13810 Eygalieres. The following text is
from their web site. <http://www.Francemarket.com/brune>

"Histoire de manoir, destin de château.

Construit en 1572 pour Pierre Isnard, consul, le Mas de la Brune est un
véritable joyau d'architecture Renaissance. Corniches, encorbellements,
fenêtres à meneaux, échauguette, motifs décoratifs évoquant Evangiles et
légendes païennes... il a en lui tous les secrets d'un art et tout le
charme d'un songe.
Dans le bleu de la Provence des Alpilles, le Mas de la Brune est un château
à bonheurs niché dans le parfum des lavandes et des roses, l'ombrage des
marronniers géants et d'un domaine séculaire. Pour vous acueillir, il a
dans son coeur le raffinement extrême, l'élégance, la noblesse d'une maison
d'exception."

If you go to their web site, there are excellent pictures of the building
and surroundings. They are slow to load on my slow modem and computer at
home because they use a Java script applet to fade from one picture to the
next. It displays well on my better system at work.

Unfortunately the dial does not show in these pictures. It is a vertical
dial declining east beside the window, above and to the left of the door.
The style is in place. The hour lines are engraved in the stone and are no
longer distinct due to erosion and decay. It is a simple dial so
restoration should be just a matter of cleaning and engraving the lines and
numbers.

I appreciate the work being done by the "Commission des Cadrans Solaires"
in publishing the catalogue and encouraging the preservation of "le
patrimoine gnomonique francais".

Roger Bailey
N51   W 115

The english text is:

"A Manoir History, a Castle Destiny.

Built in 1572 for the Consul Pierre Isnard,the Mas de la Brune is a real
gem of Renaissance architecture. Cornices, corbelled structures, mullioned
windows, watch-tower,decorative motifs evoking the Gospels and the pagan
legend...it contains all the secrets of an art, all the enchantment of a
dream.

In the Provence blue of Les Alpilles, the Mas de la Brune is a castle
brimming with happiness, basking in the fragrance of lavender and roses,the
shade of the chestnut-trees and an age-old estate. It bids you welcome with
extreme rafinement, elegance, the nobility of an exceptional house."