Fellow Shadow Watchers,
                       In discussion with a dialling friend I was trying
to visualise the reasons for the period of illumination of a north-facing
vertical dial when it occurred to me that I had the solution at my finger
tips viz. Mike Shaw's 'Universal Diallists' Companion' which gave me an
immediate 'before your very eyes' solution.  The device is 'universal'
because it is adjustable for any latitude.

If you haven't seen this simple but effective accessory I'm sure Mike
will be happy to send you a JPEG and further information.

 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Every diallist should have one, especially those who are new to the craft.

(Usual disclaimer)

Tony Moss