Art Carlson queried

>> ... A photo of a dial similar to the one made for Patrick Moore can
>> be seen on the internet at
>>      http://www.lindisun.demon.co.uk/smallest.htm
>
>I have a question for Tony Moss about the dial pictured.  Unless there
>is another scale on the back we can't see or the dial plate can be
>turned over, this dial can only be used in summer.  That's OK, but
>then why do you include the Equation of Time for the whole year?

There's a scale on the underside going 'backwards'.....although you may
get a crick in the neck trying to read it.  The small challenge involved
was to make sure that both scales accurately centre on the central pin
gnomon with both noon lines truly co-planar.

It actually took twice as long to make the octagonal presentation casket
in black walnut for this item as it took to make the metal parts of the
dial.

Tony M.