Ken Clark wrote

>...  I do not want to obstruct the view of the dial
>center, so I was thinking of just a tapered perpendicular pin and just read
>the tip of the shadow.

I recall seeing an Austrian?? dial where an aperture plate was suspended
in front of the wall by taught stainless steel wires in the vertical
plane although how well this would survive in a vandal-prone area raises
some doubt.

SNIP

>   I am also concerned about the effects of the attachment points of the
>gnomon discoloring the paint from the water running down the wall.  I am
>considering some type of brass but I am not sure what is the best way to
>anchor the gnomon to a masonry wall.

I would suggest stainless steel for its increased stiffness and lack of
corrosion products if you are concerned about weather stains.

Gold plating to the equivalent of UK Service Grade 4 (severe exterior
atmospheric conditions) is not as expensive as you might imagine.
Alternatively it could just be painted or left self-colour.

>I have not really checked out what's
>available in hardware or anchors that will not rust or corrode over time.  I
>do like vertical dials because they are somewhat vandal proof but is there
>any way to attach a gnomon that would also be easily repairable if broken
>off?

A sympathetically-designed wallplate above the dial with horizontal slots
would allow lateral movement.  Ornamental caps could be made to cover the
bolt heads while concealing the slots.  From the centre of the wall plate
a horizontal arm could support a vertically-adjustable rod supporting the
aperture plate.  Or this could be assembled as a temporary 'lash-up' and
then used as a jig for a final integrated design as it might be difficult
to arrive at a concept which is both adjustable AND elegant.   Apart from
this, that which is adjustable can go out of adjustment!

Good Luck with your project.

Tony Moss