Hi Robert,

You are not the first to get stalled at this point. I've been there and been
unable to get past using the conventional math outlined by Waugh. The
mathematical treatment by Rohr (pg 76-81) shows the step change in
complexity necessary to solve for reclining declining dials.

To help understand why this is so, have a look at the armillary sphere on
Luke Coletti's site:
http://www.gcstudio.com/ Go to the bigger picture (gcdial_b.jpg) by right
clicking on the image.  The time lines are the brass meridian circles. Your
position is the center of the universe. Your zenith is straight up from the
center. The style is the axis of rotation through the center at the poles.
Your co-latitude is the angle from the pole to the zenith.  The blue ring is
the horizontal plane. You can see the hour angles of a horizontal sundial as
lines from the center to the intersection of the ring (plane) with the
meridian time lines. I consider this to be an excellent visualization of how
to design a sundial. Thanks Luke for producing and posting the drawing.

In your mind, rotate the blue ring. Change the inclination of the dial from
horizontal to vertical. If you rotate it on the east west axis, maintaining
the declination south, you will see that the inclination correction is a
simple adjustment in the design latitude. When the plane is equal to the
latitude, you have an equatorial design. When the ring is vertical, the
design is as expected with co-latitude substituted for latitude. Rotating
the vertical ring shows the effect of declination changes. The math is still
simple. So far the geometry still involves right angle triangles. Now rotate
the ring to a plane that both inclines and declines. The intersection of the
blue ring with the time lines still gives the appropriate hour angles. It
solution seems simple enough but it is not. The solution now involves the
solution of spherical triangles that do not contain a right angle. The usual
solution of such triangles involves the cosine rule and this brings in all
those complicated looking trig functions. This is why the usual treatments
describing sundial design do not used the mathematical approach for
reclining declining dials.

The equations you are seeking do exist but are too complex to reproduce in
this e-mail format. Have a look at the equation section of the BSS Glossary
at     http://www.sundialsoc.org.uk/glossary/index.html . They show the
equations for Substyle Height, Substyle Distance and Hour Angles for the
common  but limited case of a dial roughly south facing reclining slightly
from the vertical. This Glossary is also in the NASS Repository CD.

When I got stalled at this point, I jumped past the problem by abandoning my
own spreadsheet based programs and starting to use the excellent programs
written by Francois Blateyron and Fer de Vries. They are very effective in
producing all sorts of sundial designs. Fer has posted an outline of his
mathematical techniques using stepwise transformations at
http://home.iae.nl/users/ferdv/compute.htm . This outline is very useful in
understanding his techniques and providing the mathematical logic for others
to use in their own programs.

Your simple question does not have a simple answer. I hope this helps.

Roger Bailey
Walking Shadow Designs
N 51  W 115