Gianni wrote:
> As in almost all Web sites,  also you take as positive the Longitudes for
> places   West of  Greenwich.
> Despite the opinion of the known astronomer J. Meeus, with which also
Davis
> agrees in his Sundial Glossary, even if a secular tradition justifies this
> definition, it is NOT correct.
> The Explanatory Supplement to the Astronomic Almanac (USNO 1992) at page
203
> affirms:
> "The geocentric longitude is defined by the angle between the reference
(or
> zero) meridian and the meridian of point p, measured EASTWARD around the
> Earth from 0 to 360 deg (IAU, 1983, p.47)   "
>
> Perhaps it would be opportune, at least in new programs and in new
> Web sites , to use this correct definition

Just because there is a definition which professional astronomers have
adopted for their purposes, I don't see any reason to assume automatically
that it is the correct one for practical sundialling. It seems to me that
for our purposes a range -180 to +180 is more convenient than 0 to 360,
especially when trying to visualise what's going on. For instance, in the
morning the sun has a negative Hour Angle which links conveniently to the
idea that the East has less longitude than Here. Another example is that for
calculating my standard time, I can just add my longitude number and my time
zone meridian to get the adjustment required. That is, I'm at 64.50°W in the
Atlantic time zone which is -4. So I divide +64.5 degrees by 15 to get 4.3
hours and add -4, and I know I'm 0.3 hours from my TZ meridian. I'm to the
West, which is consistent with positive sense of the number I calculated.

If I treat my longitude as 295.5 measured going East, it is a harder sum. I
have to multiply my TZ meridian by 15 and subtract that from 360 to get 300,
then subtract my longitude of 295.5 to get 4.5 and divide that by 15 to get
the 0.3 final result. It is positive which fits with positive now being to
the East, so it is still consistent and the final result is the same, but it
more work mentally and thus I suspect more error prone for those of us who
are still learning or who don't work routinely with these concepts.

I'd like to know what other people think about the right convention to use.

Steve

----
Want to know who's going to win in your constituency?
Try my UK Tactical Voting Wizard at
http://users.eastlink.ca/~srgl/election2001.htm