Dear Fer, David,

> Your example could be named a cylindrical dial or polar cylindrical dial
> if you refer to its shape and position.
> Or "point-sundial" because the dial uses a point of shadow or light to
> read the dial. I don't know how this sounds in English, it is a direct
> translation of a word in our language where it sounds well. (
> punt-zonnewijzer )

In my website, I have introduced the term "nodal dial" for this, as the time is
being read from the shadow of a fixed point or 'node'. The node may be the tip
of a pin or gnomon of arbitrary orientation. It may also be a knob on a rod or
notch in an edge. Sometimes the node is an aperture in a plate, casting a
spot of light on the dial face.

Kind regards,
Frans

Frans W. Maes