Spectacular, wasn't it?!?

We took off from home in the Santa Clara valley, in the murky heart of
Silicon Valley, and drove all of 20 minutes to the summit of the Santa
Cruz mountains, near the second-choice site for Lick Observatory. Not as
dark as the open mountain plains, but beautiful, none the less. (Also
enjoyed quite mild 14-15C temps!) At the peak, either side of 0200 PST, I
was seeing at least one meteor every 5 seconds, and often closer. Call it
around 700-800 per hour! Many bright trails that hung in the sky for
seconds and longer. One very broad trail hung visible to the eye for at
least 5 minutes, and I could see it clearly in the 10x50's, a good 15
minutes after passing... We stayed out over an hour, losing one 9 year old
daughter to crawl back into the car, the other to fall asleep. The rest of
us held out with the 30-40 others at the roadside, until the shower was
beginning to slow down a bit. Definately one to remember!

Dave Bell
37.29N 121.97W